Saturday, March 28, 2015

JULIA FLEEMAN




(This feature is part of TRUCK’s Theme Issue on the List or Catalog Poem. You can go HERE for an Index of the Participating Poets.)



Doing My Part


I try to pick up my mail each evening
roll my recycling out to the curb at night
shred all documents containing personal information
feed my cat the food appropriate to her stage of development
wait until the dishwasher is full before running it
exercise regularly for strength and flexibility
keep my shoes darker than my hemline
convert my bills to electronic payment
turn off my cell phone in the library
follow an assortment of blogs
limit my intake of red meat
send individual holiday cards
condition after shampooing
bag and tie my garbage
check my tire pressure
microwave my sponges
launder in cold water
monitor my statements
sneeze into my elbow
keep the trees trimmed
donate to charities
lower my voice
read the paper
make lists
vote
to forestall chaos.




No comments:

Post a Comment